Sunday, September 9, 2012

DIY Peel off base coat!


I haven’t been feeling this ecstatic about glitters nail polish recently. Not because I don’t like them, I luvre myself some glitters in this life, but… as everyone know… glitter polishes are pain in the arse to clean. It simply take forever… and lots of effort…

It was really a moment of discovery when I read a blog about using craft glue as peel off base coat. NOOO…. Don’t close this window yet!!! I will explain why I am not nuts for applying glue on my nails.

I heard it all started with Essence’s limited edition peel off base coat. Someone genius figured out that that base coat is pretty much craft glue or white glue or PVA glue. Unfortunately, I don’t know who is that genius and I couldn’t find the blog where I read about this glue as peel off base coat thing from…

Anyways, now… I finally got my hands on a bottle of craft glue/white glue/PVA glue. I started with a coat of Poshe base coat, just to protect my already weak nails from further damage the glue technique may (or may not) add to my nails. A glob of glue… then I simply evened the glue out with my fingers. No need to be perfectionist here, as the glue will dry pretty much flat. as you can see in the last picture below, the glue has dried out for 4-5 minutes and turned clear and glossy. In case you are still wondering,… yes, it still smell like glue a little bit, but after 5 minutes +, I cant detect the smell anymore unless I dug my nose to my nails…



This time, I am using 2 coats of Etude House in bling blingrose, part of winter 2011 Wannabe Perfumed Syrup Nails . Then I topped up with Essence nail polish in  72 time for romance. Final coat using my favorite Seche Vite top coat, and I’m done.

You might think of its durability… the PVA glue is water based anyway. Will it melt or get dissolved when you wash your hands? Good news ladies (and gentlemen), it wont. I tried it. In fact, the next day after I applied this DIY peel off coat, I do a lot of housework and washings. And no dissolving here. 

Of all 10 nails, only one chipped by the end of day 2. The picture you see below is my chipped nail… to see if the peel off effect really works, instead of repairing the chip, I moved on peeling it. And… as you can see below… it was super easy to peel off once the nail polish started to chip. no more lengthy soaks and neverending massaging the nails… woo hooo!!!


Bottomline…
Surely, I’m gonna buy and wear more nail polish using this technique. I do think the extra step of using glue is totally worth it if you are planning to wear glitter polishes… but for crèmes, metallics, duochromes and other ‘regular’ colors… I wont do it, since they are easy to remove by usual technique…

No comments:

Post a Comment